What is an example of a verb phrase?
The phrase would include the verbal (participle, gerund or infinitive) and any modifiers, complements or objects. Examples of verb phrases versus verbal phrases include: The man was texting on his phone. (verbal phrase texting on his phone functions as an adjective; swerved is the verb)
How do you classify prepositions?
Prepositions, as a class of words, can be divided in five categories.
- Preposition of time (temporal) e.g. in, on, at, etc.
- Preposition of place (spatial) e.g. in, on, at, etc.
- Preposition for direction e.g. to, towards, into, through etc.
- Preposition for device, instrument or machines e.g. on, by, with, etc.
What are 5 examples of phrases?
5 Examples of Phrases
- Noun Phrase; Friday became a cool, wet afternoon.
- Verb Phrase; Mary might have been waiting outside for you..
- Gerund Phrase; Eating ice cream on a hot day can be a good way to cool off.
- Infinitive Phrase; She helped to build the roof.
- Prepositional Phrase; In the kitchen, you will find my mom.
How do you know if its a verb phrase?
A verb phrase consists of a verb plus another word that further illustrates the verb tense, action, and tone. The other word or words tied to a verb in a verb phrase are its dependents, which can be adverbs, prepositional phrases, helping verbs, or other modifiers.
What are prepositions 5 examples?
Some examples of common prepositions used in sentences are:
- He sat on the chair.
- There is some milk in the fridge.
- She was hiding under the table.
- The cat jumped off the counter.
- He drove over the bridge.
- She lost her ring at the beach.
- The book belongs to Anthony.
- They were sitting by the tree.
What type of pronoun is we and us?
Pronouns take the place of nouns in sentences. Both we and us refer to groups of two or more people that include the speaker or writer. We is a subject pronoun, which means it is used as the subject of sentences. Us is an object pronoun; it is used as an object in sentences.
What is a noun example sentences?
A noun can be used as the subject of a sentence, or in another capacity as an object: John is nice. – John is the subject of the sentence. I saw John – John is the simple (direct) object of the sentence. I gave John the phone.
What are 10 examples of nouns?
10 Examples of Proper Nouns
- Asoka was a wise king.
- Sita is a good girl.
- London is on the bank of the river Thames.
- Kalidasa is the Shakespeare of India.
- Paris is the capital of France.
- China is the most populous country in the world.
- Bill Gates is the richest person in the world.
What is the meaning of the word Loll?
Definition of loll. (Entry 1 of 2) intransitive verb. 1 : to hang loosely or laxly : droop a dog with its tongue lolling out. 2 : to act or move in a lax, lazy, or indolent manner : lounge He lolled around in his pajamas all day.
What is a sentence fragment?
Sentence fragment definition: A sentence fragment is a type of incomplete sentence that lacks the necessary grammatical elements to make an independent clause. What is a Sentence Fragment?
What is another word for lolling?
In its “recline” or “lean” sense, loll shares synonyms with a number of “l” verbs, including loaf, lounge, and laze. Verb a dog with its tongue lolling out Her head was lolling to one side. She was lolling by the pool.
What does it mean to Loll around in your pajamas?
intransitive verb 1 : to hang loosely or laxly : droop a dog with its tongue lolling out 2 : to act or move in a lax, lazy, or indolent manner : lounge He lolled around in his pajamas all day.