What were your first signs of lupus?
Lupus facial rash
- Joint pain, stiffness and swelling.
- Butterfly-shaped rash on the face that covers the cheeks and bridge of the nose or rashes elsewhere on the body.
- Skin lesions that appear or worsen with sun exposure.
- Fingers and toes that turn white or blue when exposed to cold or during stressful periods.
What is lupus dermatitis?
Cutaneous lupus is a type of lupus. It causes a red, scaly rash on the skin. Lupus is an autoimmune disease that causes your body to attack healthy tissues.
Does lupus cause itching?
In cutaneous lupus, the immune system targets skin cells, causing inflammation that leads to red, thick, and often scaly rashes and sores that may burn or itch.
What does lupus look like on your face?
A tell-tale sign of lupus is a butterfly-shaped rash across the cheeks and bridge of the nose. Other common skin problems include sensitivity to the sun with flaky, red spots or a scaly, purple rash on various parts of the body, including the face, neck, and arms.
What are the 11 symptoms of lupus?
What are the 11 signs of lupus?
- Butterfly-shaped rash.
- Raised red patches on your skin.
- You’re sensitive to light.
- Ulcers in your mouth or nose.
- Arthritis in two or more joints, plus swelling or tenderness.
- Inflammation in the lining of your heart or lungs.
- Seizures or other nerve problems.
- Too much protein in your urine.
What does lupus dermatitis look like?
A lupus rash can appear in the following ways: A scaly, butterfly-shaped rash that covers both your cheeks and the bridge of your nose, This rash will not leave any scarring in its wake, but you may notice some skin discoloration such as dark or light-colored areas. Red, ring-shaped lesions that do not itch or scar.
What does the beginning of a lupus rash look like?
Many people with lupus experience a red or purplish rash that extends from the bridge of the nose over to the cheeks in a shape that resembles that of a butterfly. The rash may be smooth, or it may have a scaly or bumpy texture. It can look like a sunburn. The medical term for this type of rash is a malar rash.
What autoimmune causes itching?
What autoimmune disease causes an itchy rash? Some autoimmune diseases that may cause an itchy rash are cutaneous lupus, oral lichen planus, and erythrodermic psoriasis.
What is lupus flare like?
About 80% of people develop joint and muscle pain, skin rashes, fatigue and a general feeling of being unwell. During a lupus flare-up the most common complaints are of flu-like symptoms (with or without fever), fatigue, muscle and joint pains.
What should a person with lupus avoid?
5 Things to Avoid if You Have Lupus
- (1) Sunlight. People with lupus should avoid the sun, since sunlight can cause rashes and flares.
- (2) Bactrim and Septra (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) Bactrim and Septra are antibiotics that contain sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim.
- (3) Garlic.
- (4) Alfalfa Sprouts.
- (5) Echinacea.